Re: Time signatures

At 12:49 PM -0700 6/19/99, Clifford Novey wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I just wanted to find out if anyone knows of info sources on the net
>that could help me to understand time signatures better- I am trying to
>get a grip on how the 8th/beat setting and the current time sig in my
>dr-5 interact with one another and I would like to understand it- I know
>it is not difficult but any help would be appreciated-

I'm not going to teach you time signatures, but here's some echoplex stuff
that might help.

The "8ths/beat" parameter on the echoplex has a somewhat confusing name. It
should be called "8ths/cycle."  The basic idea is, "when using midi clock,
how many eighth notes will equal the basic loop length?"

For example, say you are receiving a midi clock for 120 BPM (eighth note is
.25sec), and 8th/beat is set to 16. The basic loop length on the echoplex
will be equal to 16 eighth notes, which is 4 seconds at 120BPM. If the
echoplex is sending clock out with this same setting, and you record a 2
second loop, you will generate clock at 240BPM. Record an 8 second loop and
it will be 60BPM (16 eighth notes in 8 seconds, each eighth is .5 seconds).

>I have a gig tonight and will be using my EDP for the first time on an
>outing- I will have 3 loops set up and drum patterns to match-
>NOTE- I discovered that if you ever need to re-sync your drum mach w/
>the EDP you can mute the loop,  stop/start the drum mach and un-mute the
>loop at beat 1 and it re-synchs with the drum mach as long as you have
>mute set to "start" and not "continuous"- I was very glad to discover
>this-

yes, that's a way to do it for now. In the next version we have "Realign"
functions that will give you lots of capbability to stop and start loops
and get them back in sync again. (for either master or slave setups.)  You
can even intentionally get them out of phase, and then ReAlign them back in
phase and back in sync again. Pretty damn cool, I must say! And very
useful. You can thank Claude for "encouraging" us on this one, and giving
us lots of good ideas for it.

kim