RE: backing solo performances

>Sometimes he played 99% live and >then had a tiny bit of
>backing (Evidenced in the song "fly" where he >played acoustic and then
>at the very end a beautiful ambient wash of sound >filled out over the
>lyric).
Off topic, but I was a little disappointed with the arrangement of "Fly."

In the recorded version, the harp sample (as well as the harp-like guitar
figures) help to clearly articulate the metaphorical vs. the literal level
of the lyrics, which are loaded with angel/heaven/afterlife symbols.

I had hoped that if he was going to allow for pre-recorded material in
that song, his arrangement decisions might be more analytical, and less of
"a wash at the end."  I agree that the song sounded good - but I had hoped
that the arranging would have been a little deeper.

In more general terms, I think that show made a good case for prerecorded
material in a live show.  Honestly, I never felt like I was watching
karaoke.  However, that show also made a strong case for making the most
of available (live) materials, like the solo version of "Dinosaur."
I think the real issue isn't to allow recordings or not, it's all a matter
of making effective arrangements.

-Jon