Re: backing solo performances

Speaking for myself-ive phased out  prerecorded backing tracks while using
a sequencer/sampler
instead ive used the processes of each  modifier(effect-sampler) on a set
of already"predetermined " sounds as a backing or  the  irregularities of
my instrument becoming  the actual macro sound picture --
this has far more elements of surprise/interaction than queing up a
sequence and hitting play -or simply hooking a dat or cd into a mixer &
pushing play
I gravitate towards those people who use sampling -looping as a extension
of a physical gesture  ----a vital piece of the live experience puzzle
it becomes the process whereby sound or music is made  in realtime
this just feels honest---but
everything is valid -like it or not Karaoke is an authentic performing art
-im sure some wannabe singers use this as a means of really expressing
themselves -to push their own set of self imposed boundaries -the same way
a guitarist solos against a complex midi sequence in a cofee shop somewhere
 in yr town
if its all predetermined then there really is no difference to me.

I need to be challenged & surprised when seeing a performance -
the shows i did recently with David First are a perfect example -he used a
cd player as a way of  presenting a  complex  series of  drones -pitch
relationships along with a midi guitar controller& kurzweill in his piece
-yet it was impossible to tell what was going on behind the scene s
without having some prior knowledge
the result was astonishing a balance between improvisation/process -the
space was undulating & spiralling time was frozen or became meaningless
-yet several people felt letdown after hearing of his use of  the sounds on
the disc---
would it have seemed more authentic if he had a mac right there  running
csound /max ?  absurd

Im particulary fond of artists who make  use of the  room or enviroment as
an  improvisational element in their performance

i would much rather prefer seeing this sort of risk taking which in my mind
is at the core of improvisation & live peformance

its an interesting grey area weve entered in the last few years -the
boundaries between live& recorded music are so blurred
there are no rules -there have never been rules --only  mind sets  we
choose to belong to..       K