Re: so when do we get the EDP news?/reasons to have boomerang AND EDP

>PS:  another question from the impatient:  How many good reasons do people
>have for having both a boomerang and an EDP?  Are people using them
>together?  Is the reverse function really worth having a 'rang too?  Any
>other reasons/thoughts on the matter?
If you need pristine audio quality, the 'rang is not the way to go.  That
said, I absolutely love the slightly warm digital aliasing/grunge that it
has.  The only feature it has which the EDP does not, is the
"half-speed"/"double-speed" mode, which sounds amazingly gritty and cool
when you record a loop and drop it into half-speed mode (i.e. transposes it
down an octave).  Unfortunately, you must stop playback momentarily to
enter the half-speed mode (if you record in half-speed/lo-fi mode it gives
you up to 4 mins? of sampling time).  The 'rang is a so called "phrase
sampler" so it does not have feedback like the delay based EDP does.  All
in all, the 'rang is very well suited to live applications (I use mine w/
electric violin & cello).  Like anything else, play w/ one before you
decide to buy it to make sure you like how it sounds (the all important
test criteria of any piece of audio gear).  IMO the EDP going out of
production is a great opportunity for the folks at Boomerang to grab a
bigger piece of the looping pie.  I hope they take advantage of it by
improving their existing products/creating new ones.

Lorren Stafford
Richard For Cerebellum/A Most Happy Sound
http://www.winternet.com/~r4c

"We ask ourselves whether truly this is the beginning
of a new world or whether perhaps the world...is about
to perish.  There are people who earnestly and seriously
fear this, where music becomes the slave of the machine..."