RE: OT: distortion pedal advice

A couple of distortion fx I use that work well and sound really good are:
The Danelectro Daddy-o & a Smokey Amps cig pack amp (this little thing has
a really kick ass distortion sound to it).  The only problem w/ the Smokey
is it's probably pretty easy to overload your amp inputs since it's already
amplifying the signal.  I use these w/ violin & cello so your results may
vary (E-bow?  Who needs it when you can get sustain longer than a stretch
of N. Dakota highway.  Accept no cheap substitutes for the real thing ;) ).
 The coolest sound I've heard out of either of these units has to be cello
harmonics run into the daddy-o and looped into a boomerang.  Absolutely
nothing else sounds like it (probably due to the cello's unique harmonic
properties, long playing surface and playing style).  I'm surprised w/ all
this talk of distortions that no one has chimed in w/ the Zvex Wooly
Mammoth (designed by our own Mr. Zwicky I might add)  ;)

<bad humor>
What's the difference between a violin and a viola anyways?
The viola burns longer.
</bad humor>

L. Stafford
Richard For Cerebellum / A Most Happy Sound
http://www.winternet.com/~r4c