Re: Real-time DSP?

>actually there's SOFTWARE out there, but it's half as not as cool (IMHO)
>as hardware stuff.
>
>-> if you plan to bring your computer to stage, think of Billy and his

>   reliable Windows operating system. Shortly: never ever try it.

I know all about Billy Boy's refusal to make a good OS..  I was thinking of
Linux or DOS apps as well.

>-> if you want to use computer for such purpose, you'll have to be
>   a computer expert aswell. even if you are already, you'll have
>problems.
>   i mean technical pitfalls that you'll face sooner or later, and it'll
drive

>   you nuts.

I've FAR more expertise in computers than I do in effects processors.
I've been playing music for 25 years, but effects are almost foreign to
me (Coming from a classical background)

>-> you wont get a dedicated control surface either

IE: Knobs?

>-> if you want your cool 500MHZ computer to do a little bit of this and
>   a little bit of that, it'll simply run out of juice, even if it seems
>   to be lightningfast.

I know the limitations of CPU speed.   I also have an 80MB/s SCSI
bus which can easily record on-the-fly 16 tracks..

>-> the latency is a big problem in computers. the windows and the bus
system
>   (and the hardware) not quite optimized for such tasks like audio.
>   an example: windows has a timing instability of +/- 100 ms,
>   which is comparing to the human ear's 10ms is a bit lame.
>   if you want to add some random swinging to your play or sequence, then
>   this is the way to go, but probably this is not the case.
>   actually this latency is the nature of the protection
>   system of the OS.

Again: I was hoping maybe Linux or a DOS app, which would get MS out
of the picture, and bring us closer to the hardware, and thus closer to a
good latency.

>so, my suggestion is: get a slower pc (or rather buy a PC for a task
instead
>of buy the fastest pc, and then figure out what you can do with it), save
>money, and

>buy hardware instead: in the case you are a professional.
>the pc is good for playing around and learning
>things, and it wont break the bank. (well,except ofcourse if you buy the
most
>expensive hardware). also notice, that your pc will worth only the half of
the
>current value, which makes it a very very bad investment. it'll always be
>like you throwing money out of the window.

1) I have a dozen PC's sitting around in various states of repair.. As I
said,
I'm quite knowledgable about computers.  You don't have to tell me about
the problems inherent in purchasing hardware. (I also use the computer
to do consulting work, so... It makes it worthwhile :)

So... Those who have tried out the real-time effects processing software
out
there,
can you say if any are worth their merit?

Ken