Re: Mini-discs: To the point...(OT)

Check out the plan below:  it doesn't require you to get a second minidisc
recorder.  It's looks a little freaky at first but bear with me 'til the
end:

1) keep your minidisc as a track master.  copy the minidisc to tape, then
use
the same tape recorder (to preserve tempo) to copy it another minidisc, and
send the new minidisc to your collaborator.

2) your collaborator copies your minidisc to tape, then using the same tape
player (again, to preserve tempo), he monitors what you've done and records
his tracks, without your sounds, independently to his minidisc, then sends
you
the minidisc of his isolated sounds.  Since all he's using the tape for is
monitor you the quality doesn't have to be sterling.

So by this step you will have two minidiscs:  your track master and his
track
master.

3) provided you have a four-track recorder or computer mixing software you
can
then
record to it first from your track master, then from his track master, and
then mix down
the resulting four tracks to a final mixed master recording.

(The only difficulty is time-synchronizing the two recordings, but if you
put
some tempo
clicks at the beginning of the recording in step (1) and then have him
emulate
those clicks
when he records in step (2) it's not insurmountable, especially if you are
using a
computer.  You could do 8 clicks of the same tempo on your recording, then
have him click along to the last 4 in his recording.  It's cheap but
effective.  They don't have to be in time with the song, they just have to
be
in synch with each other for the purposes of synchronizing the tracks in
the
final mixdown.)

If you don't have a 4-track recorder or a good enough computer to do step
(3)
above, you could try this:

1)  copy the minidisc to tape and send him the tape
2)  he monitors you with the tape and records his isolated sounds to a
minidisc and sends you his minidisc
3)  you play back his sounds and re-record your own sounds "live", then
catch
both your and his sounds on tape.

All this requires is that each of you have both a minidisc recorder and a
tape
recorder.  In either case, your collaborator is only using your sounds to
monitor so the quality doesn't have to be perfect.

Hoping this helps a little,
Tim