question re: quadraverb

i have an alesis Q2, it has a universal mute setting that totally removes
the
input signal so that all that comes out is the effected signal rather than
mix of the two.......when i do this, everything sounds muddy (?) although
interesting.......is there a way of cleaning up the effected signal
without
re-adding the direct signal?....ideas?........last nite after reading the
glowing reports on the boss gt3 here, i went to harmony-central and read
all
the reviews on it........G.A.S.!!!!!!!!!!!........so rather than being
killed
in my sleep by my wonderful family for buying another piece of gear i
figured
that i would dig into what i have and "really" see what it can
any quadraverb hints would be most welcome.......off list
please........thanks.........michael