Re: Question of the Week -- when do you NOT loop?

I think you've misunderstood David Kirkdorffer's original question. He's
not asking "Should one ever loop?", but rather, "As a musician who DOES
take advantage of the available technology, under what specific
circumstances does one make the CHOICE to refrain from looping?", a big
difference. I think most, if not all, of us on this list would agree with
you that we're better off looping, but recognizing that the looping
community manifests a considerable range of approaches, David's question is
ideally suited to discussion in such a  forum. It is by comparing and
contrasting our respective loop techniques, and by getting a feel for the
role looping plays in the context of our overall musicianship that we learn
and grow. The proportion of looped and unlooped playing varies amongst us
for a variety of reasons, and David felt that this warranted discussion.
You're right, there is absolutely no reason not to loop, but sometimes
there are very good reasons not to loop 100% of the time, and this is what
David was addressing.

BTW, Brian Eno's "Discreet Music" was recorded in 1975. Steve Reich and
Terry Riley were looping more than a decade before that, and Stockhausen
was heading in that direction with his layered and manipulated tape loops
as long ago as  1956 (Gesang der Junglinge), so it's not really a question
of whether one needs the latest technology. Looping's not new; the gear's
just getting a lot better. But that wasn't what Mr. Kirkdorffer was asking.

Tim