Korg DL8000R Delay

Hi there - I'm the guy who originally promised to post something about the
DL8000R, but never got around to it. (Actually, I did write a huge
detailed document on it, but thought it would be too much for the list.)

It's basically a 2-in, 2-out delay, with hi/lo eq and two delay sections
per channel (400ms pre-delay and 4800ms main delay).

Each main delay section has four taps, tap four being the "feedback tap".
Each tap on each channel (plus direct signals) outputs to a mixer section,
with pan and level control for each, then out in stereo. In addition, the
feedback taps have feedback level (in dB) and hi/lo damping eq, and can be
directed back to their own channel (normal) or the other channel
(cross-delay).

For setting delay times, it operates in either a MS (millisecond) mode or
a Tempo mode (bpm). In Tempo mode, the rhythmic facilities are very strong
indeed, with the ability to sync to MIDI sync, or generate it according
the delay tempo of the program. The tempo can also be picked up from input
signal peaks (if you set the level threshold correctly). The times of all
four taps per channel can be set using a "beat pattern" facility, and a
multiplier/divider ratio applied to the tempo. Tempo is in quarter-notes,
as you would expect, so with Tempo set to 120, a ratio of 1/4 gives you
1/16 notes at 120 = 125ms, while a ratio of 4 gives you a whole note (4/4)
= 2000ms. The slowest tempo selectable from the panel is 50, and the
longest ratio = 4, which works out to 4800ms per channel.

For example, the "ten second delay" is derived from left input -> left
400ms delay -> left 4800ms delay -> right 4800ms delay -> both outputs.
Most other combinations are possible too. I enjoy playing with a 9600ms
cross delay, with a very light decay and damping eq.

What confused me a little at first is the way varying delay times are
handled. Unlike other loopers I've heard and read about, the internal
operating speed is fixed at 48kHz, from inputs to outputs. This has its
advantages, such as zero internal noise from conversions, but it means
some "standard" looping effects are impossible. As an analogy, think of
the DL8000R as two tape loops that run at a permanently fixed speed, each
with a write head and four read heads. Each read head can be moved
individually, but the loop speed never changes.  When you change the delay
time (statically or dynamically), you're moving the head(s) only. Whilst
doing so, the frequency/speed of the output changes, but once you stop
moving, the speed is back to normal again. You can't record at one speed
and play back at another continously, as I've heard e.g. DTorn doing with
his Lexicons.

Each head's delay time can be controlled dynamically, as can numerous
other parameters such as levels and LFO, by LFO, MIDI or 1
foot-controller. With LFO controlling a simple short delay time, the
result is a "warped record" effect that makes me seasick. The presets
include various chorus and flange effects too. The foot controller I have
(Bespeco) has quite short travel and makes it sensitive - a slight slip
can send all 8 taps reeling and leave warped blips in the delay lines if
you aren't careful.

Unlike DavidK, I don't find it noisy at all, but maybe I got lucky. It has
48kHz convertors, with unbalanced connectors, and the eqs work well. A
setting of 0dB feedback level results in genuine infinite delay with no
loss at all - I've left it looping for hours this way. I don't think many
were built, or maybe the serial no. on mine (0000240) is just a fluke. I
haven't used it in earnest, but I would be happy to do so now I know its
limitations.

Likes:
 - good sync capabilities - great fun with sequencer / drum machine for
dub effects
 - sound quality good IMHO
 - inexpensive compared to, well everything else
 - huge display - very visible, brightness controllable
 - "purist" delay - nearly everything is controllable

Dislikes:
 - time / tempo display doesn't reflect changes resulting from real-time
control.
 - fixed speed loop (as above)
 - delay time only 9600ms, not upgradeable
 - "line lump" PSU

Cheers,

Brian Thomson, London UK
bnt@email.com