Contact Mic

Hello there.
    Contact mics seem to be really cool things to have around the house.
I've read where Daniel Menche an underground sound artist records found
sounds with a simple contact mic.
    There have been many a times I've placed one ear up to a thick metal
pole and banged on it to hear "what's going on inside of it"...
    My question. Does anybody out there know how to make a decent contact
mic. Searching on the net has come to a dead end. There aren't even any
good
explanations as to what a contact microphone is.
    Jamie Mash
{Exp.MusicDirector
     atWMTS88.3}