Re: the originalminimalists

Hey Robby,
       Please scan those program notes and give us all a look-see.  btw: I
was a complete innocent when I walked into this smallish circus tent
during
the Monterey Pop Festival ('67 or '68?) and saw a synth (or was it a
Uniac? I
wondered)  that was larger and taller than my current two-car garage.
Four
guys, including Bob Moog, (he grabbed my hand and introduced himself,
that's
how I know) were trying to get any sounds out of it at all.  The successes
were small with a lot of pulsing white/pink noise, and the smell and smoke
of
burning circuits in between.  There was at least one other large
electronic
synth there too.  Arp maybe?  And a lot of sitars, tablas, tambouras...I
believe Rickenbacker had a display too.  The tent was very crowded, hell
the
whole Monterey Peninsula Fairgrounds were packed and the ambience in that
tent was not at all what we think of as 'quality' sounds.  But on the
stage
where Jimi, Janis, Otis, Grace, Bob (Dylan), et al were playing at various
times...   satori...  ( I had to climb a damn high fence with barb wire at
the top dozens of times to see who I needed to see, since every show was
sold
out.  The security guys were too stoned to care most of the time and only
hauled me out twice.  Clint Eastwood bought me a beer too, since I was
obviously a soldier (the butch cut hair) and didn't blend in too well, in
spite of my bright yellow, paisley print bellbottoms.  He saw me checking
my
pockets to see if I had enough money for one and he told the guy, "I'll
get
that beer for that soldier.  Been to 'Nam?..."

Thanks (for indulging me my remembrances),
    Bill "Hawkeye"