RE: mixdown

> dear list: can you get a  decent mix with pc speakers.

You cannot get a reliable mix with ANY one set of speakers.
I use Event 20/20 powered reference monitors.  It's hard
to get any cleaner and flatter than they are.  Each monitor
has a 70 watt dedicated amp for the tweeter and a 130 watt
dedicated amp for the 8" woofer.  But....everytime I mix
down...I have to listen to it through different sets of
headphones, through PC speakers, through boom boxes, through
home stereos, car stereos...you get the picture.  Each of these
brings out something else about the mix.  Sometimes the conga
will come blaring out on a particular boombox...but is perfectly
balanced on the monitors.

You have to figure
out what equipment your target audience is going to be using.
If you are making a mix for a dance hall....bass is not going
to be a limiting factor.  Crank it.  If you are making a mix
to be listened to as a demo of your material...cranking the
bass will make it sound horrible on a boombox or car stereo
(uhm...the average car stereo).

In short...if you mixdown using pc speakers with a subwoofer, your
song will sound good on that set of speakers.  Others, without your
setup, are going to hear something different.

     -Mike McGary