OT: Minidisc vs. DAT for portable

I know we did a bit of this a while back but I wasn't paying attention. I
noticed, though that some of you did purchase MDs recently and I'm
interested
in hearing direct comparisons of the audio quality to that of  48KHz DAT,
which is what I'm used to.

On Nov.1 I'm headed to India  and would like to record in various
situations
on battery power and as light as possible. I've used the Sony D8 DAT with
good results, using an Audio Technica AT 822 stereo mic (pretty darn good
mic
for $300).  But I might have to buy the recorder instead of borrowing it,
and
the MD would be a great convenience for live jams and as an audio source
for
looping (random access, etc.).

Can anybody compare the mic pre-amps of their MD to those on the D7 or D8
Sony DAT?

thanks,
eric p
echo park