Re: Yamaha SU700

kim, drew et al,

> >Drew Skyfyre wrote:
> >Anyone here use a Yamaha SU700 ? Seems pretty powerful, though I've come
> >acroos reports of system freezes. Assuming that it has pretty
>comprehensive
> >MIDI implementation (which most Yamaha units seem to have), then under
> >control from a sequencer or MIDI foot control pedal board, it could be
>used
> >like an Echoplex. Plus the SCSI option means that loops can be saved
> >directly to hard disk/removable drives & there are resonant filters,
>68MB
> >RAM, 3 effects processors, & a max of 64 voices, or in this case,
>actually
> >tracks.

kim replied:
> I watched a guy demo it at the NAMM show. (so I don't have any hands on
> use.) Unlike the echoplex or other real-time samplers, you can't sample
> something and immediately have it looping in rhythm. There are some steps
> in between, so it won't be seamless for a performance.
right: its not.
i had one of these for a week or so:
this box is clearly *not* performance oriented, in regards to doing any
kinda 'live' sampling.

>(When I asked the
> guy doing the demo about this, he said, "why would anybody want to do
> that?" He was completely baffled, thought I was nuts for for wanting to
> sample stuff live...:-)   So in that way, it is fundamentally different
> from echoplex, jamman, etc. It might not let you sample new stuff while
> it's playing back either, but I don't remember that point now. Better to
> compare to Roland SP808 or Akai MPC2000, other devices more oriented to
> live sequencing with precreated samples.  Watching him use it, it seemed
> powerful but the interface seemed kind of clumsy and slow.
i found the user interface architecture to be kinda: how can i say this?,
uhhh.....
opaque.
cool sound manipulation possibilities, though, from an 'after-the-fact'
perspective.

>But like I said,
> I didn't use it myself and this was almost a year ago. Seems to me that
> someone on the list here has/had one, maybe they can give a better
> explanation of the good points.

best,
dt