Re: Q o' th' Week: Live Gig Rig Logistics

Tim Nelson <tcn62@ici.net> asked:

> are any of you
> using innovative racks/pedalboards/stands/cases that transport, set up
>and
> tear down particularly well?

On a recent trip to Reno, I used a regular large duffel bag with dual
compartments to transport my rack units (the rds 7.6 and the qverb, wrapped
in blankets), a stomp box, and cables.  It worked well, considering that
I'd
not had the time to think out this very query in advance.  To ease concerns
amongst you that I've completely lost my mind, I've thought of getting one
of those rack/transport boxes that open at both ends.  It doesn't take much
time to take down-put up, though I've also thought of using coloured cables
and dabs of similarly-coloured paint on the sockets; but then, if it's
already hooked up in the back the way yez wants it that's even taken care
of.

I should point out that, on the occasions I've played live and electric,
it's been with other folks, and I've only used two In's on their mixer
board, using only the guitar for sound source.  To transport the rig I've
got at home - which includes a Juno-106, RX-15, Shure SM52, a Tascam
Portastudio with bad belts being used for a mixer, in conjunction with a
cheap mixer (Yamaha KM502) on an 80s-era Ultimate Support rack - is so much
of a pain that I've configured the living room more as a playing space
lately... :)

Stephen Goodman       * It's the free Loop Of The Week!
EarthLight Productions * http://www.earthlight.net/Studios.html
*
(Hear the NEW "Star Spangled Banner" here!)