Symbolic Sound's Kyma

> I played a gig last year with someone who was (trying to use) a Kyma.  He
> lived near the people who invented it and had brought it back to them a
> bunch of times to get fixed.  When he set it up on stage it was totally
> dead, useless.

I've been aware of Kyma for a number of years, have read numerous reviews (
a couple of excellent ones appeared in Electronic Musician) &
spoken to users. The problems that you mention above must have had a very
good reason, or possibly a freak occurance. My understanding is that Kyma
is
a very reliable & well built system. An incredible concept & an incredible
product that's been in production for many years now.

Peruse the web site, at http://www.symbolicsound.com/eighth-userDir.html
there's a partial list of users, including John Paul Jones who is using it
live on tour, and several others who I'm sure wouldn't be using it if it
wasn't essentially bullet-proof.

I would have no hesitation in buying one. Soon as I have $3300 to spend ;-)

>  I love the concept, but for that kind of cash, I'd want a
> system that was slightly more bullet-proof.

Slightly irresponsible (dontchathink ?)dissing a product based on one
user's
experience, the details of which u know nothing about, or at least haven't
told us, if u know. The internet's become notorious for this sort of thing.

Anyhow :

Kyma's OS has just been upgraded to v5 :
http://www.symbolicsound.com/press-AES99.html

A quick synopsis of it's capabilities :
http://www.symbolicsound.com/press-AES98.html

>From the Symbolic Sound site :

The first Kyma system was delivered in January 1991, and since that time,
there have been seven major software upgrades, three hardware upgrades...

Electronic Musician magazine Editors' Choice Award for 1998.

Featured in the March 1998 Wall Street Journal Entertainment Technology
insert.

Cheers,
- Drew