Re: grumpy loopers, genius vs. jerk

Back in 1981 my partner and I sent a tape of loops we had done, to Fred
Frith.
About a year later we received a very nice letter from Fred with a
positive
swirl
to it and the encouragement to keep at it.The nature of the art versus the
artist
argument was first made to me as a youngster by my father who said that the
work of Charlie Parker was to be admired, but his choice of lifestyle was
not.
The list of people whose work could fall into this realm is as unique as
the
individual doing the lisiting.I love Debussy.....but as I understand it he
was
not a nice guy in the context of family life.

                                                        Bryan Helm