my 2000

yesterday a friend of mine (Karsten Schulze, a keyboard player from
Cologne/Germany) came up with a cool idea:

His personal goal for 2000 is to create and record 10 seconds of music
every day. Just like a diary entry, but very short. 10 seconds each day
sum
up to 3650 seconds, or about 1 hour of music at the end of the year,
consisting of 365 small bits.

I was fascinated by this idea at once, and I think I'll try to do this
too.
I'm really thinking of this as a musical diary, so the 10-second-bits will
possibly turn out to be very different, just like the days. Some will be
composed pieces, some improvised sounds, some just environmental
recordings. All in all, it will probably end up as a very colorful
patchwork. Another approach would be to create a coherent piece of music
out of 365 units.

This 1 hour will be 'my 2000'. It could be either put on CD (because 365
tracks won't work, they could be grouped into, say, 12 month-tracks), or
possibly on CD-ROM for computer. One could also devise some sort of
software, or a website, consisting of a calendar - clicking a day would
play the 10 second track of the day and possibly display a diary entry,
image, or something similar.

If more of you should decide to run their own 'my 2000' project, we could
even bundle our efforts and turn it into something public, marketing-wise,
for those who would do it as a professional music project. I'd volunteer
set up and host a website for this if needed. :-) But first - 365 pieces
of
music must be created.

Let me know what you think.

A healthy, peaceful, and successful year to all of you.

*       Michael Peters:         mpeters@csi.com
*       escape veloopity:               electronic guitar loop music
*       hop - fractals in motion:       strange attractors
*       http://www.mpeters.de/mpeweb