OT: Sony DAT/battery problems

sorry to post off topic ... does anyone know if there are Sony DAT user
websites/mailing lists as there are sites for Minidisc?

for some reason, when I put new batteries into the DAT, I can only record
for a few minutes. The battery load indicator goes swiftly down, and then
the DAT stops and the 'battery' empty warning blinks. Why is this? I don't
want to give it away to Sony for repair because it'll take weeks again,
and
I need this thing very often ...

*       Michael Peters:         mpeters@csi.com
*       escape veloopity:               electronic guitar loop music
*       hop - fractals in motion:       strange attractors
*       http://www.mpeters.de/mpeweb