Re: Boston New Years Conceptual Computer Looping

>>From yesterday's Boston Globe:
>
>_____________________________________________________________________________
>
>     Apocalypse Now: Y2K Pops
>
>     Techno artists William Tremblay and Rob Gonsalves hit their
>conceptual
>mother lode when First Night production director Gina Mullen urged them to
>come up with a proposal for the millennial shindig.
>     After all, says Tremblay, "this was going to be the big one."
>     Cogitating about what to propose, they cast a wary eye at our era's
>version of apocalypse: Y2K.
>     "This time last year, there was a spate of news stories about how the
>world would end. Elevators would plummet, things like that," says
>Tremblay.
>"We felt it was highly overrated, and a bald-faced marketing strategy to
>get everybody to buy a new PC."
>     In fact, says Gonsalves, "The average Joe at home using Word and
>Excel
>won't run into any problems. Most applications don't care what the date
>is."
>     Tremblay and Gonsalves decided to test the doomsayers' theory - while
>still making merry. They've collected 101 older computers, dating from
>1987
>to 1992, most of which are not Y2K compliant. Each has been programmed to
>sound like a particular musical instrument; together, all 100 will sound
>like an orchestra. Each will also project a visual element corresponding
>the musical  note it plays. Starting at 1 p.m. at the Hynes Convention
>Center and going until 1 a.m., Y2K Pops will play a loop of 15 songs under
>the guidance of a robot, called the "semi-conductor."
>     At midnight, any number of the computers may come down with the
>millennial bug. Gonsalves and Tremblay plan to monitor all the hardware
>and
>software, and to see what hits the double-zero wall and what passes
>through
>it when 1999 gives way to 2000. Boom or bust, it ought to be a good show.
>
>We now return to our regularly-scheduled topic, furry kangaroo loopers...

Sounds great!

Did anyone make it to this?

Reviews?

Patrick
                     Fingerpaint's New Release:

                            IN THE LOOP

      ... an intelligent, stimulating mixture of mimimaist spacebeats and
           obscure samples layered upon a hypnotic illbient backdrop.

                       DIGITAL ARTIFACT # 12

                      http://www.fingerpaint.net