Re: RI Micro-synth VS Original?

> There has been alot of talk about those who do and dont like the micro
> synth, but I never could tell which version they had. So if anyone who
>has
> done the side by side, or liked one and not the other speak up to help us
> poor blokes who dont have one.

I have an original and took the new reissue out for an extended  spin a
couple times. I've never tried them side by side but I'm pretty
convinced there are some slight differences. the following is *very*
subjective so YMMV:

The main thing I noticed was the fuzz on the reissue seemed different
than the fuzz on the original. The only way I could explain it is to say
the original was more of a warm square tone whiel the reissue seemed to
be sharper and didn't have as much low end rumble. Now it could be each
pedal has it's own idiosyncricies (sp??) as well but I tired two
different reissues and neither quite grabbed the originals full on fuzz
tone to my ears.

The filter seemed to be closer IMO. it's raspy, nasty and harsh like the
original.

The other thing that I noticed was the triggering seemed to be more on
or off on the reissue whereas you had more "play" while using the
sliders in the original. They all track horribly anyway but again in my
experience the reissues I tried didn't have as much room for adjustment
as I have on my original especially when you add in the Attack/decay
slider in the mix.

That said the Microsynth is one of my fav poedals period and if I didn't
have an original (bought for $$$ in it's vintage heyday) I'd pick up a
reissue in a second without any qualms whatsoever. Is it worth the extra
couple hundred to buy an original over a new reissue? To me no but then
again I'm more geared to using the stuff rather than collecting it or
dissecting it's ever nuance. I'm sure some purists or tone freaks would
say the original is better. I say they're both pretty damn good and
unless they are the same price, buy whichever one is cheaper.

     HELP WANTED PRODUCTIONS - Http://www.voicenet.com/~legion
"Bringing you the best in Organic Electronic music since we started..."

Home of the Unusual Instrument and Recording Gallery with pictures and
info of Tube recorders, Omnichords, weird guitars, Casios, and more.