Re: midi help needed

At 1:14 PM -0800 1/26/00, tony moore wrote:
>hey folks,
>
>ok, i'm midi idiot. or a midiot as someone else has called me :-)
>anyway, i
>have absolutely no experience using midi. i have the vague notion that it
>can be used to control and synch devices, but that's it. here's some of
>what
>i would like to do. i'd like to synch my edp with my roland dr sample so
>my
>edp loops are in time with the groove samples/loops. also, i perform with
>percussionist who has a jam man. we'd like to synch the edp and jam man so
>our loops are in time with each other. lastly, i'd like to synch my edp
>and
>dr sample with my digi 001 mac recording system so i can add loops to a
>previous recording in time. is any/all of this possible? any suggestions
>on
>resources to learn how to do this? thanks!
>
>tony

Hi Tony-

Both the echoplex and the jamman can use Midi clock for sync. They can both
either generate or receive the clock. You should be able to sync one to the
other fairly easily. I don't know about the Dr. Sample, but most most
sequencer / drum machine / sampler type devices do use midi clock for sync.
It should be quite easy, you just need to decide which device is going to
be the source of the clock and set the tempo for the others. That one goes
in the beginning of the midi chain and the others follow it.

For the echoplex, there is plenty of info on using sync in the Echoplex FAQ
on Looper's Delight:

http://www.annihilist.com/loop/tools/echoplex/FAQ.html

and for the jamman, we've got plenty of info on that too:

http://www.annihilist.com/loop/tools/jamman/jamman.html

good luck,
kim

http://www.annihilist.com/  |