Re: guitar synths are yucky anyway

to me, this keyboard guitar feud is a classic difference in channeling
style.. whereas keyed instruments offer a more linear translation from
inner
galactic transmissions to pitch, guitar offers the expressiveness found in
direct contact between the musical excitor [string] and the controller.

i am in the early stages of designing a custom instrument to overcome these
limitations.. the instrument uses contact mics sandwiches with
force-sensing
resistors as keys-- the hand/mallet/whateveryouwant is in direct contact
with the audio surface-- and the sound of the contact between the finger
and
the key is used as an excitor for various configurable audio processes--
for
example, a karplus-strong string resonator or a modal synth... the point
is,
the instrument becomes a signalprocessor, not just a signal generator///
and
so we have a signal path that resembles both the tone generating
capabilities of the synth and the tone altering characteristics of
electronified guitar.... spanned across keysurfaces, instead of strings...

i am thinking of writing up a proposal for support from STEIM in
amsterdam..

thoughtforms welcome pls

jan