Re: Guitar synth..take it (or leave it ) for what it is

John,

    I know that Andy Summers was using a Roland GR-707 and GR-700 for a
long
time and then he went over to the Ibanez MIDI 2010 system, and from there,
think he's gone with the Axon system, but I could be wrong.  For a MIDI
pickup, I'm not sure what he's using anymore...

    The RMC's are going to work out a bit better than the Hex as they are
going to be set directly on the string, and they aren't going to have to
deal
with the amount of crosstalk which is normal for the Hex (magnetic, GK-2a)
pickups which are out there.  This is extremely true if you are using a
Bass
as your controller.  Another thing which helps out is to have the nut on
the
instrument you are using intonated as well.  For my Gene V with RMC's to
my
GR-30 (soon to also be a Yamaha G50) I've noticed that the lower strings
are
tracking substantially better with the RMC's and the new nut.  Still, it
is
not as quick as I pluck the string and INSTANTLY the synth makes an
appropriate sound, there is still a little lag and always will be!

    As for problems with fingerstyle vs. pick(s), I can say that the Axon
systems tend to work a little better with picks, as do the Roland, and
there
is after touch information sent out on both the GR-30 and the Axon
AX-100SB
both internally and externally.
    One thing I noticed immediately is that the Axon systems are much
faster
at sending out MIDI information than the Roland units, though I have not
had
a chance to try out the new GR-33.  On my GR-30, I notice that it does a
real
happening job with different finger styles out there.  Also, playing
lightly
helps out drastically.

    Have to agree with a few other posts out there that you'll spend a bit
of
time getting used to how the conversion brain is going to react to what
you
are doing on the instrument.  Just as I also have to agree that a bad way
go into this is to think that you'll be playing a guitar for the effect of
playing a piano.  Just doesn't happen.  'tis better to think of it as
playing
a synthesizer with a guitar interface, and then also have the ability to
switch back to guitar, again.  Another slight plug towards the RMC's are
that
they also offer one of the best acoustic sounds I've had the pleasure of
using.

    Hope this helps a bit.

        Lee-ohki.

"We are all connected, even outside the Wired."