Re: [OT] Interest in JI software/hardware

At 09:05 AM 2/28/00 -0500, you wrote:
>pvallad1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
>
>> Let me try to articulate what i want to do here... I am a former Stick
>> owner (sold all my musical instruments in CA before the big move to FL)
>who
>
>Sounds insane! One could always fret a stick in ji.

What is insane to you?  Me moving from CA to FL?  Or that I sold all my
instruments?  Or that I am a former Stick player looking to get back into
it?

If I get another Stick, yes I could have it fretted in JI (probably at
considerable expense as I am not a luthier nor do I have the time to learn
such an art), but then I would not be able to play with friends who use
12-ET.  That Stick would only be good for music written for that specific
temperament.  I'd have to get ANOTHER Stick just for playing with 12-ET
musicians.  Not an economically viable solution for me! :)

>> If I just wanted to stay at home and never play out, a software synth
>would
>> be perfect for me.   However, I do want to play out (and I really do
>mean
>> PLAY as in play "realtime", not run some non-interactive program or
>play a
>> tape). and I have new friends who are encouraging me to work towards
>that
>> goal.  There is no way I'm going to lug my PC, 17-inch monitor,
>keyboard,
>> etc. to bars and coffee shops to play music.
>
>Last Saturday I heard a friend play an entire show on a laptop.
>I think he uses MAX. But he's not into tunings.

Yes, a laptop is a viable solution because everything folds into a nice,
neat flat unit - no bulky 17 inch monitors and such!

And yes, I too have seen guys play entire shows with just laptops.  But
none of them were controlling them from external MIDI controllers - all
played their laptops directly via the touchpad.  I would like to know just
how significant is the latency imposed by the OS.

>> I was hoping somebody would tell me that samplers exist that would
>allow me
>> to set up tunings with scale resolutions small enough to handle JI.
>Then I
>> could just get that sampler instead of getting another computer.
>
>One could always sample tuned instruments. It IS a sampler.

But Mr Lofflink indicates in his post that the scale resolutions on
samplers are also inadequate.

>> Well, my disappointment in the fact that all responses to this thread
>> indicate the need for computer to be included in my hypothetical live
>rig
>
>No you don't. It's just a possibility.

That is true.  But I cannot afford to buy a harem of Sticks, each for a
specific tuning.  I am looking for an economically feasible solution here.
:)

>> >a fretless guitar or a midi guitar & synth or a refretted
>> >guitar or Csound seems to be your best option. I want
>> >a fretless guitar next.
>>
>> I appreciate the time you've taken to respond to my inquiries.  However,
>> Csound is not realtime and I am not really a guitar player.  I am more
>of a
>> tapping type of player (piano, Stick, Ztar, etc.).  Also, I am
>interested
>> in exploring _harmony_ in JI, not so much melody.  Fretless guitar is
>not
>> the optimal solution here (it took Adrian Belew two years of practice to
>> play chords in tune - so he says).
>
>It's all in the ear. So it took Belew 2 years to tune up
>his hearing. Big deal. You act like becoming a better musican
>is an undesirable thing! Maybe your approach could be a bit less
>negative?

What I am getting at is the fretless guitar solution is not a viable one
for me. I am not a guitar player, period.

I am sorry you think I am being negative.  Whatever solution that I come up
with, with or without your help, is going to cost me some hard-earned money
- I have every right to investigate the pros and cons of each approach -
unless you are willing to pay for it yourself. :)

Thanks,
Paolo