Re: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V00 #73

Loopers-Delight-d-request@annihilist.com writes:

<< > I was making a case against mystical,
 > unfounded, beliefs about music which are based on little more
 > than "feelings". For example, just because I "feel" that the
 > world is round, it does not make it true. Feeling are no
 > substitute for the validity of the senses. >>

OK, I've stayed out of this one so far, but I have to admit here you're
finally got me wondering why a presumably healthy, well-rounded adult mind
has to accept that the rational (intellect) and the irrational (these
'unfounded beliefs' and 'feelings') are by necessity mutually exclusive.
mean really, shouldn't we have a pretty good handle on dealing with each
at
the appropriate time?

Besides, since when does a "feeling" have the prove anything to be valid
in
and of itself as a feeling (and if you've never been blindsided by an
irrational feeling like say, oh, "love" for instance you've missed one of
the
true joys of living), and how many examples from throughout history do you
need to illustrate how deceptive the "validity of the senses" can be?

And one other thing - even if you don't follow an organized religion
(which I
don't either), why diss it for people that derive some sense of meaning
from
it?  The way I see it, any time people can assemble in any format that's
peaceful and maybe even feel some sense of community, i.e. religious
worship,
concerts, PTA, Alcoholics Anonymous, bowling league, what have you, that's
not such a bad thing.

Ken R