Re: Philly Electro-Experimental

Discipline is a function of order.  If a being functions and works within
set of rules without a second party enforcing these rules, that being is
excersizing discipline.  Bliss (or happiness) emerges from working within
the
rules to the point at which the rules are forgotten.

I was thinking about this as I was driving home from my day job (grade
school
music teacher).  Children work best under rules.  This gives them a
structure
in which to be a well-behaved member of society.  When this structure is
not
apparent or if the rules they are taught come in conflict with other
thought
patterns, they act out.  In the same way, we react against patterns that
come
in conflict with our own models for existence.  It's like trying to
understand 13/8 when all you've heard is 6/8 or 4/4.  Or trying to listen
something like Schoenberg when your concept of "classical" music is as
contemporary as Beethoven.  I personally try to teach that the exploration
of
these boundries reveals that they are only temporary at best and that they
all are stepping stones to more abstract concepts that are still part of
the
same whole.  Machines are the only truly disciplined beings: Work to your
computational limit (and that's why I torture machines without pity).  As
you
may guess, I'm not a very fun teacher.

Later!
Joe