Re: Philly Electro-Experimental

SketchyJoe@aol.com schrieb:

> Discipline is a function of order.  If a being functions and works
>within a
> set of rules without a second party enforcing these rules, that being is
> excersizing discipline.  Bliss (or happiness) emerges from working
>within the
> rules to the point at which the rules are forgotten.

This philosophy is deep middle age ... sorry, get up to date. Try Erik H.
Erikson or Lawrence Kohlberg to learn the new (education) theory.

> I was thinking about this as I was driving home from my day job (grade
>school
> music teacher).  Children work best under rules.

???

> This gives them a structure
> in which to be a well-behaved member of society.

"a well behaved member of society?" ... or a conform, uncritical member of
nearly fascist community? ... wake up, we are living in the year 2000,
1960 is
over!

> When this structure is not
> apparent or if the rules they are taught come in conflict with other
>thought
> patterns, they act out.

It's not true ... I work with children/kids, too and I teach (better say
animate) them, to set their own rules ... people have to learn, to get more
responsable for their acting, not to obey fix, given rules.
Help your kids ... teach them to think free.

> In the same way, we react against patterns that come
> in conflict with our own models for existence.  It's like trying to
> understand 13/8 when all you've heard is 6/8 or 4/4.

Sorry, this is bullshit ... music is deep inside humans and it's one or
theirs
ground-abilitys.

> Or trying to listen to
> something like Schoenberg when your concept of "classical" music is as
> contemporary as Beethoven.  I personally try to teach that the
>exploration of
> these boundries reveals that they are only temporary at best and that
>they
> all are stepping stones to more abstract concepts that are still part of
>the
> same whole.

:(

> Machines are the only truly disciplined beings: Work to your
> computational limit (and that's why I torture machines without pity).

Torture machines? ...torturing yourself would be better, the
machines/instruments just helps you, to explain your feelings.

> As you
> may guess, I'm not a very fun teacher.

That I'll belive for shure!!! ... my kids love me, not because i'm weak or
soft, but I try to understand them.
And don't forget ... childrens are humans, too ... just in case you forgot.

Not later, now -, your thinkings made me furious.
jesús