Motu PCI-324/2408mII vs. Digi 001

As usual my comments, hang on the edge of topic appropriatness, but I'm
considering jumping into outfitting my Powerbook G3 400Mhz (bronze) with a
Magma chassis and I've determined that the Motu PCI-324/2408mkII and the
Digi 001 are both within range, however I'm uncertain as to which is the
better choice.  I like the bang for the buck delivered by MOTU, but I'm
also
thinking about production issues, i.e. being able to integrate seemlessly
with recording studios for post-recording production work.  I'm planning
on
using this for live recording work with an ensemble project, so the
multi-tracking is necessitated.  The MOTU would offer cheaper expansion,
but
is it worth more to buy into the Digidesign buy-up scheme (with an eye
to...sigh a massive Mix@24 system)?  Is ProTools worth it?
        I'm using VisionDSP, but Opcode seems saddly moribund (another
Gibson
victim), can anyone comment on MOTU audio desk, ProTools LE, Cubase VST or
Logic Audio Platinum (I understand the latency is lowest on Logic Audio).
        I know this is off topic, but I am capturing loops, manipulating
them
crunching them with the intent of proliferating loop influenced music for
distribution (so it works in terms of loop evangelism).
Thanks, Sean