RE: Performing solo loop improvisations

As for myself, I have a repertory of "ideas," which include fingering
tricks, harmonic constructs, and plain old tunes.  These serve as a "bed"
where the lively improvisational action takes place, pardon the imagery.
Improvisation has no rules, I think.  With enough "ideas" and lively sound
sources, I have enough for a good while of playing for people, and it makes
for a lot of variety.