Re: open reel deck looping?

A friend of mine uses a couple of reel-to-reels for all his music
sequencing/recording, he can't afford a sampler and/or computer.

He sequences by cutting up individual notes and drum hits on the tape, and
then joins them together into loops. These loops are his sequences.

To keep things in time he draws a graph on a piece of paper so that he
knows how long each note/beat/sequence/etc. should be, showing him where to
cut the tape.

His reel-to-reel has an old telescopic radio antenna attached to the front,
with something on top of the antenna for the tape to 'roll' over, and he
extends the antenna upwards to hold the loop tight.

He runs these loops on a two track reel-to-reel and then records them onto
a 4 track reel-to-reel to allow layering/multi-tracking of multiple
loops/sequences.

He has 'racks' on the wall with all his tape loops hanging on them.

Total lo-fi sampling/looping, it's really amazing what he does with it.

It really gives a loose feel, seemingly more 'organic' and 'real' than
computer based sequencing.

Simon
Canberra
AUSTRALIA