RE: Free Music

The old model:

1) Musician makes music

2) Record company records music, makes record, promotes artist,
distributes
music to stores

= Record company controls music production and distribution

The current model:

1)Musician makes music, *can* record music, *can* press master cd and pay
for duplication, *can* self promote, very hard and expensive to distribute
music on a large scale

2) Record company *usually* records music, *usually* arranges for media
duplication (same company or other), promotes artist (depending on who you
ask), controls wide spread distribution of music recordings to stores

= technology has given artists more ability to produce quality sounding
recordings fairly cheaply (in comparison), the Internet has given some
artists more exposure outside of their communities (impact?), record
companies still control wide spread promotion and distribution (and take a
pretty good cut for the priviledge)

What does the MP3 and Napster and it's ilk mean?:

1) Physical media will eventually become less prevalent, it's not as
convenient or portable.   All-digital storage and distribution of music
will
eventually become commonplace (it's harder for your kids to scratch RAM,
and
high-bandwidth or wireless data networks will continue to grow).  I don't
know when eventually is, but it sure is starting to look like soon.

2) Simple standards based distributed file sharing will allow ANYONE with
access to the internet to be a mass distributor, potentially.  This alone
threatens the ability of anyone to generate revenue based on the current
model.  This need not be centralized.  It would be so easy to create
online
communities (such as this!) with subscribers that share, trade, or sell
music to each other.  Combine that fact with the ever increasing ability
of
musicians to produce and encode all of their music themselves (or with a
few
others) and you've blown the above two models out of the water.

The only caveat is, how is anyone going to make money distributing music
with this technology?  *scratches head*  Is that really the point?

Mike