tape echo design

I've posted up on asking info about echo/delay
pedals...but looking at
the pieces for them all, i think it would be more
worth my time to
create something unique, and that in the end if it
works (crossing
fingas) will certainly will be worth the effort.  I
mean there are
plenty of cheap delays, but having a tape echo would
be unique.

I was thinking that it would be possible to rig up an
old reel to reel
for this (RtoR, the proto 8track, heh).  I have an old
one and I have
access to another to pull apart.  So from here it
would be looping
tape, creating pots, and maybe a circuit.  Any tips or
suggestions?  I plan to make it a three head, which
means I need for four head recorders, right?

Someone said that it wouldn't sound of the best
quality, but then
again, didn't some old tape echo box use a phone tape?!