Re: Looping Therapy

>    Has anybody here heard of the avant-gard trombonist Stuart Dempster?
>His
>site: http://faculty.washington.edu/dempster/ . He does some amazing
>things
>with a groups called the Deep Listening Band and Sound Massage Parlour .
>Like play with a group of trombone players in an old cistern with a 45
>second reverberation.
>
>Thanks for any and all information,
>
>David Green

I have a CD of the Deep Listening Band with the Long Stringed Instrument in
Austin, Texas.  Is the Deep Listening Band independent of the LSI?

If y'all aren't aware of the Long Stringed Instrument, or the Deep
Listening Band, it's worth a look.

Long Stringed Instrument:  I think there have been multiple installations
of this, but the one i know of is in Austin, where an entire room (an old
candy shop) has been converted to this amazing stringed instrument.  The
strings are running horizontally across the room at waist height, and the
players move along the length, plucking the strings with rosined fingers.
According to my friend, during a performance, the audience essentially sits
in the 'soundbox'.  The composition and choroeography is (from what i know)
by Ellen Fullman, who has recordings under her name as well as with the
Deep Listening Band.  The sound of this thing is really unique and
wierd...like a droning string quartet through a vococoder or something.

Deep Listening Band:  The CD i have is with this band and the LSI.  What
might be interesting to the LD folks is that this performance was designed
to give each member of the ensemble control over their own placement in the
mix, as well as control over their effects loops, if my memory serves me.
Reminds me alot of the threads here about mulitple fx sends and mixer usage
in live situations.

I was given these CD's by my 'mad scientist' friends in Austin.  Really
interesting stuff, i think.  Mostly, i was fascinated by the musical
'chart' on Ellen Fullman's 'Body Music' cd.  It is a 'map' of the movement
along the strings by each 'player', throughout the entire composition.
cool.

seeya,

rich