Re: Looper -> multitrack

Neil said:
>...And often I wish I would have recorded the
>instruments/lines on separate tracks from the start.  But now in the
>'perfection' of the moment, they're all on one mono track! Of course an
>entirely different type of music and feel results from starting on a multi
>track, and doing take after take, etc.

There must be another way:
Record the INPUT of the looper (not yet looped audio) to the
audio-sequencer of the computer, together with all the operations
(MIDI output of the looper).
Then play back the file, feed the computer audio output AND the
recorded MIDI operations into the looper again. The loop should
become rebuilt exactly as it was.
But now you have the whole playing information separately on the computer.
So you can cut out wrong notes, change the sequence of the phrases
that build the loop, shorten... basically whatever you want, as long
as you keep track of the MIDI information that has to be edited
correctly together with the audio, otherwhise you loose the original
layering easily.
The hard part of this method is that you can only listen the whole
piece from beginning, otherwhise the loops will be rebuilt wrongly.
But then again, you can loop the same bits within the computer and
stop to use the external looper. At this point, you have the whole
freely looped song under control just as if you had it done by
multitracking.

Its a shame I never tried this... especially since I am convinced
that this will be one of the main recording techniques in the near
future (probably with a looper build into the recording software,
like POLAR...)

>It creates a whole new sense of being a player/composer that the loops can
>go for hours or weeks if you don't reset or turn off the power, but are
>gone
>the instant you do. I often get too 'attached' or regret having wiped the
>slate, or suffer some anxiety in deciding betwixt the two.

As TAO told me, to "disattach" is a very fruitfull exercise in
live... I have a hard time with it, especialy with old tapes ;-)
And its not the same as devalorize.

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org