Re: ebow, tamboura & accoustic looping (mikes?)

>How does one deal with isolating the new
>loop material from the currently sounding loop if
>you're not using a contact mike?  Is it usually an
>issue?

Yes, I find it can be a real issue.  Here's some things I've found out:
1) Close mic.  Even if you have to play quieter than normal.  E.g., when I
close
mic my claves I must gently tap them.
2) Use directional mics.
3) Play in quiet places for quiet audiences.
4) Avoid playing outdoors in the wind.  (Avoid playing indoors in the wind
also!
:)
5) Keep on-stage sound levels as low as possible.  Sometimes I monitor
through
headphones.
6) If possible, mute unused mics.

Of course, you have to go with the flow.  I was playing a small bookstore
once
and as I started an overdub, a young lady in the front sneezed.  When she
heard
the looping sneeze she started giggling.  When she heard the looping
giggles,
she lost it completely and started laughing so hard she began hiccuping.
When
she heard the looping laughing hiccuping...well...  Not what I intended
but so
what....

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com