optical pickup

>There's gotta be a way to make an optical reflective microphone.
>Didn't someone already do this for a guitar pickup?

there was a guitar to midi converter called photon that used such an
optical PU. The advantages are that its easy to separate strings and
mount it without modifying the instruments. The position has to be
pretty acurate, vertically, but string bending does not hurt.

They claimed that conversion was as quick a light - it was not :-(

And I listened once to the pickup: no treble at all.

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org