The new Echoplex and you...

Dear all,

    Well, got my Echoplex and footswitch from Alto Music a few weeks ago
and
everything worked great straight out of their boxes.  I now understand the
complaints about the manual and definitely see some room for improvement
therein.  Several taped multi-coloured plastic tabs helped out with this
one.
    Will get into a few ideas for updates later on...  Anywho, gave it a
shot
with a David King headless fretless 6 string bass, fretted Steinberger
5-string bass, a doubleneck Carvin, Polycarb Stick, and finally a Roland
JV-90 just to see what I could get out of this beastie.  First thing is
that
I have 50.3 seconds of memory when this beastie ships, and man I now
understand just how little this can be, quick!  Especially with the
multiply
feature, trying to get activated...  Succeeded a few times with rather
positive results for tiny loops.

    Had a blast with it just playing back what I had done, and then doing
little overdubbing, and finally sussed out how to get this thing to record
separate loops and then play them sequentially, repeating loop a then b...

Couldn't quite suss out the fade out feature, and could only
"accidentally"
get the reverse feature to happen for me.
    Another thing which popped up from time to time was that the beastie
was
overheating on me and shutting itself down, with all of the lights, but
that
over the Record and the two decimal places on the LCD screen going off.
Cranked up the Air Conditioning and this problem disappeared rather
quickly,
gave it a dedicated fan and it didn't occur for the few hours I toyed with
it...

    Now then, the good news, I know that some of the problems are user
error
and learning curve.  Sound quality is really happening, and was very happy
with how the Echoplex handles the basses and my Stick being run in mono.
Really felt the love there!  Also liked that you can record lots of
different, un-overdubbed loops on this thing.  Did I mention that the
sound
quality is really happening?

    Some things which I'd really like to see in a "new" echoplex is a 2nd
rack space, this way many of the controls can be taken off of the hold and
release buttons and switched over to pots, or dial switches and a set of
fans
can be put into this beastie for better respiration...
    Man, getting this beastie to go into reverse mode is a bit of a chore,
and then I have a quick question, can you change the speed of the play
back,
as you could with a tape echoplex, if so, what menu do you begin with and
then where do you go?

    Now, off-list, I've been asked a few times to do a comparison between
both the Echoplex and the Boomerang.  This is again, just a statement of
opinion and only that!
    I'd find myself working with the Boomerang more in a live context than
would with the Echoplex.  Mostly because, I find that single buttons are a
bit easier to work around in a live setting than menus.  I also like the
idea
of running the Boomerang with both inputs, and now that I've started in
with
a Chapman Stick, this is VERY necessary to do things with two channel
input.
Also, I really enjoy the fact that I've got 2 minutes of time and as many
overdubs as I want.

    Flip side, there is just so much more which can be done with an
Echoplex,
and it is a matter of sussing out the menus and tap and holds of the
control
surfaces.  The sound quality is much better in my Echoplex than my
Boomerang,
also find that the Echoplex sounds better with the lower end instruments
than
the Boomerang, also found that a bouzouki in and Echoplex is VERY crisp
sounding, whereas it was a little muddy in the Boomerang.

    The echoplex is not as noisy, and due to the heat problems mine tends
suffer, a studio environment seems more conducive.  Sorry no snails man
pitch
on this one, I like them both and will probably continue to like them
both,
even as I become more familiar with the Echoplex.

    Oh, by the by, for the attackless drones, a sneaky way I've found of
doing it, is to activate the note you want to drone, run it through a
volume
pedal and then some form of digital delay on a slow setting and then just
after you get the sound you're looking for, timbre or rumbles then start
recording with either unit, and found that they both (Boomerang and
Echoplex)
handle this quite nicely.  Typically, I like to swell it a little more
about
halfway through the loop to be.

    Now, I have to snag a copy of the updated BIOS for the Boomerang.

    Tap on, loop extended, gliss out,

        LeeohkinoWired.