--scratch perry--

Ben/SoccerMom wrote:

>for musical collaborators who like things like Steve Reich, Funkstorung,
>Negativland, Miles Davis esp. 70's, The Residents, Brians Eno and Wilson,
>Autechre, Lee Scratch Perry, Music Concrete, RZA, Harry Partch, Ennio
>Morricone, Sun Ra, Can, etc.

Lee Scratch Perry!  That's a name i don't
remember seeing on this list before!  I don't
own a lot of what he did, but the stuff from
the _Roast Fish Collie Weed & Corn Bread_
era is amazing.  He seemed to be doing a
lot with vari-speed, like the lead voice would
be straight ahead but all the supporting tracks
would make some listeners sea sick.  And
talk about sampling--i don't know about other
people's music, but he spun real world sounds
(babies crying, doorbells, whatever) in and
out the music all over the place.  When i first
heard it i thought the man must be one sick
puppy, and i loved it.

Now, he musta been doing some tape-looping
back then....and maybe more sophisticated
looping since then.  Does anyone know more
about him, and whether or not he's a looper?
(He is still around, right?)

-pjk