Re: sp808, VP9000, and system design

.. surely the "groove boxes" suck, because they give the sounds which are trendy now, but in 2
years nobody will like them. the person who is behind the machines and uses them is important.

I think this may serve to our advantage later on...as the musicians who keep up on 'trendy' equipment, and dump off the old stuff (like buying new skis each winter). Then the old stuff is cheaper for us to buy at a discount!

Lexicon Jam Man's and Vortex's were being blown out of stores when nobody liked them or understood them. I paid less than $40 for a new Boss PN-2 Tremelo/Pan pedal for the same reason. Now tremelo boxes are all the rage. The list goes on...wierd.

Alot of music has come up from the street level in the last thirty years as technology has rolled along, often with people grabbing at the old, cheap technology and doing something interesting with it!

I think Roland's Variphrase processor has awesome possibilities, but i'm not sure if it's creative potential can be seen through the price tag (and possibly the learning curve, too?). So, i will at least have a small fantasy that they won't sell well, the price floor will drop out, and i can pick one up used in a few years for a few hundred bucks.

rich