Re: Lots of fun.

In a message dated 07/14/2000 10:05:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
rich@nuvision.com writes:

> Do you feel that if this trend continues that there may be some sort of
>  rebellion or 'backlash' to it?  That we may place a much greater value
>on
>  music that is actually 'played' for us, as it will allow us firsthand to
>  know if the person, or ensemble, actually has any musical merit?

If there would be a 'backlash', it would come from players themselves --
players who spend time working on their own chops.  Such players usually
have
no power to make big commercial projects, and so lack influence.

'Hey, we're sick of people listening to stuff made in Pro-Tools, we're
sick
of MIDI, we're sick of crappy sequencers!  Let's make the next CD with a
Strat, some drums, and an SM-58!  And Sony Music will just have to take
it!
And it'll be great!  And you know, I want to go back and learn how to
spell
chords, so I can stick a Lydian Augmented riff over a dominant #11 chord!'

If listeners started to value chops over (the opposite... what's the
opposite
of chops?), then they'd shift their tastes, and non-chops music, i.e.,
anything that stresses programming over hands-on instrumental skill, would
begin to lose popularity.  I can't see THAT happening -- most major
commercial productions involve big-time programming... I looked at the
liner
of the last Mariah Carey CD.... countless producers, engineers,
button-pushers.... all this framework to stick that voice into, and all
calculated specifically to move tonnage.

Music that values skills over technology?  Some would call that JAZZ.

So maybe it's about intent.  Intent sometimes is connected with skills
(like
John McLaughlin, or, well, you know, fill in the blank), sometimes not
(like
Bob Dylan, or, again, fill in the blank.)

And what is musical merit?

Short answer: no, I dont see a backlash coming.  If you can make a piece
of
music that is direct from your own self, and finds a target in the
listener,
then what do you need chops for?

On the other hand, my little jazz power trio is finishing our first CD in
tiny studio in a guy's basement, 16-track ADAT, few effects, no
sequencers,
most basic tracks played live... and we have plenty of musical skills.
But
it won't matter if we fail to communicate, if we don't say what we mean to
say.  (And though it is truly a jazz record, there IS a weird-ass loop
under
one track.)

Technology and skills are seperate, and variable elements of successful
music.

It's just my opinion.  Your mileage may vary.

Kevin