Re: MIDI Data looping + Wireless MIDI

>Tell me more about KeyKit and BuildingBlocks.  I've looked at both of
these in
>the past but have never had the time try them.

KeyKit is the bomb when it comes to algorithmic composition. But I find
it's also good for some real-time processing. There's a mixed text/graphics
interface with lots of tools for dealing with tracks, controllers, phrases,
etc. There's even more statistically advanced features like the ability to
create new tracks based on general characteristics of another track/phrase
(Markov Maker). The data stream is in text form, so it's quite easy to
manipulate. Plus, I think it's been ported to every platform but Atari2600.
It's very small and efficient. Check out Tim Thompson's website. There's
plenty more info there, plus he has some of the tools available in
web-accessible form. Cool.

Whereas KeyKit is mostly programmatical and composition-oriented,
BuildingBlocks is mostly graphical and performance-oriented. You have small
modules that perform different tasks (note in, echo, arpeggiators) and you
graphically connect them, i.e. drag a line from the output of one to the
input of another. Oh, and it's also set up to allow input from the
keyboard, from mice and from joysticks (2 buttons or 3!). Since the
learning curve is shorter for me with BB, I tend to favor it for capturing
peformance ideas on the fly. It has a very LEGO feel to it. And don't rule
it out for composing -- one fellow just used it as the major composition
engine in a minimalist piece. I can't recall his name right now. It's on
the BB website.

Wow. How's that for a sales pitch? Which reminds me, KeyKit is FREE, and BB
is under $100 (don't remember the exact price).

>Probably not what you're after, but I've played around with combining a
>mouse-to-MIDI program (mouse movement generates two MIDI CC data streams)
with a
>wireless (infrared) mouse.  It's fun!

That's a great idea! Sounds like fun. BB might be down your alley.

>What kind of MIDI do you want to transmit (wirelessly)?

I want the whole MIDI stream wireless. I have a WX5 wind controller (MIDI
sax) and I want to be able to walk around without dragging a cord behind
me, just like guitarists get to do. MidiMan used to make one, but no
longer, and the company Aquila won't return my inquiries. Some people have
suggested using a wireless network card, but the mod on that seems a bit
over my head. The primary issue is error correction. I've been wondering
about wireless modems (radio, not infrared, then there's no line-of-sight
issues), but have been too busy on other projects to jump into that
quagmire.

Of course, if anyone else thinks this is a cool idea...

Hope all of this helps somebody, anybody.

Tim
http://www.quiltedfish.com