RE: The set up

Hi Michele,

I build all my own desktop computers so I can tell you that the parts are
all basically the same. You just get your choice when you build your own
(or
have it custom built). For video, yes, the bigger the hard drive the
better.
Hard drives are not that expensive... you can get a 20GB IDE for $150 or
so... Of course, life isn't always so easy, is it? For video, you need to
get a drive that is A/V (audio/video) compatible. This means that the drive
compensates for thermal overheating by NOT interrupting the flow of data -
most non-A/V drives compensate for the heating problem by momentarily
stopping the flow of data. This is not what you want if you're streaming
video because the video will momentarily "hang" while thermal calibration
occurs.

I suggest visiting the major manufacturer web sites (Seagate, Quantum, IBM,
Maxtor, etc.) to generate a list of which drives are A/V compatible, and
then buy one of those. I've had good luck with Quantum, Seagate and Maxtor
drives. Please stay away from Micropolis; I bought an A/V drive from them a
few years ago and had nothing but problems... of course, maybe that's been
corrected by now.

One other suggestion: you'll get best performance on a hard drive with a
SCSI bus connection - Ultra 160 is the new standard. Find a motherboard
with
a built-in Ultra 160 SCSI controller and you'll save some money. Hook up an
Ultra 160 A/V drive to it and you're ready to rock and roll! Adaptec is the
leader in SCSI controllers.

Good luck!
Kevin