D-Beam

Chris Chovit wrote:

> Oh my goodness!  That stuff looks like fun!  Anyone using this to control
> audio? I'd love to hear a user review....

how fortuitous for me, i signed up to the list like 15 minutes ago!

yeah, i use (4) D-Beams.  [i use (2) Roland SP-808s, and each SP-808 has
(2) D-Beams.]

ways i use d-beams:
1)to trigger looped samples
2)to control effects parameters
3)"theremin"
4)to control MIDI parameters

PROS:
1) obviously, shiny, (relatively) new control method, thus
encouraging       new forms.
2) sober people love it.
3) drunk/high people REALLY love it.
4) can get you the type of chicks who wear interesting eyeglasses.

CONS:
1) not as cool in practice as you'd think.  MIDI doesn't yet have
the       "resolution" of "analog", so these arent as cool as theremins
yet.
2) a bit of a "one trick dog".  self explanatory.
3) fog machines and crazy lights can mess their response up.
4) seems to have a response lag.

SYNOPSIS:
a very cool live toy, but i wouldnt want to have this be my main tool,
especially live.