Re: EDP Multiply question

At 9:12 PM -0700 9/2/00, Om_Audio wrote:
>Thanks- I was asking for fellow list member Rich who wants to play over
>top
>of the cycle as it gets multiplied 4x- then copy it to next loop and lay
>things on top of the second loop while maintaining a "clean" version in
>loop
>1- make sense? Thanks-
>
>Cliff

ah, I see. That's easy to do anyway, and there is no need to multiply your
clean original before you copy it to another loop!

You see, LoopCopy of the audio is really just like doing a multiply, except
that it goes into a new loop. The copy process lets you create multiples
and overdub on top at the same time, just like Multiply.

So rather than multiplying your "clean" version first in loop 1 with the
Multiply function and then copying that to loop 2, you simply start the
copy with the original when you are ready. It copies into Loop 2 in real
time, letting you add more material on top as it goes. If you let it keep
going, it adds multiples of the original until you tell it to stop, just
like the regular Multiply function. Then Loop 2 has as many multiples as
you like with your longer phrase on top, while loop 1 still has your
"clean" original.

Here's a step-by-step, to be clear:

1. record a 1 bar loop in Loop 1. This is your "clean" original. In
EDP-speak, this is one "cycle".

2. let it loop away, while you play whatever you want along with it.

3. When you are ready to record the longer phrase, start the LoopCopy to
loop 2.

4. When the copy starts, you will see the Loop display saying 2 and the
timer counting up. The multiple display will be showing 1 at that point.
You will hear the Loop 1 audio continue to play seamlessly, although now it
is actually going into Loop 2.

5. Play your long phrase. Everything you play is being overdubbed on top
into Loop 2, along with the copied audio from loop 1. The new stuff and the
copied stuff are mixed together in real time for you, and recorded in Loop
2.

6. When the copying gets to the end of your original cycle, you will see
the Multiple display increment by 1, and the original cycle plays again.
You can keep on playing your longer thing, adding it to the loop in Loop 2.
Your original cycle is still being copied, for as many multiples of it as
you like. You can let it go for as long as you have memory. (all of that is
just as Multiply works).

7. When you've got as many multiples as you want, or you've finished the
longer phrase that is going on top, stop the copy. (you even do this by
pressing Multiply, to keep it familiar with the Multiply function.)

8. the Echoplex stops the copy into Loop 2, and immediately begins playing
back that loop. You'll hear your original cycle repeating for how ever many
cycles you gave it, along with the longer thing you've added on top.

9. Loop 1 of course, is still your original "clean" cycle! Whenever you
want you can go back to that loop, and have the original cycle play. Now
you can easily switch between having the basic loop play clean, and the
multiplied loop with the longer phrase! It will sound just like you are
turning the longer phrase on and off. It's really a pseudo-multitrack
effect, except with a performance oriented interface.

The important thing is, you accomplished all of that seamlessly, in
real-time, with very few button presses, and without any awkward waiting!

This is a bit of an advanced function on the echoplex, but once you get it
there's a lot of power there. We reused concepts like Multiply for this for
a reason. We hope that people learn the basics of the Echoplex while
playing with the simpler functions as they start out. Then as they move on
to deeper functions, they discover that they already know it!

Similarly, there is time copy. This lets you copy the time base of one loop
into another, without the first loop's audio. This one is really just like
Insert! I'll leave it to you to explore that one.

Hope that helps,
kim