Re: making the most of cheap equipment

----- Original Message -----
From: "StephanN" <neetenbeek@pixelpark.com>
To: "'Peter Shindler'" <shindler@mediaone.net>;
<Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2000 11:29 AM
Subject: AW: making the most of cheap equipment

> Hi Peter, hi loopers,
>
> thank you for your funny applications for "unperfected" equipment.

There's more where that came from!

> I don't really know the DOD-pedal you describe. I allways liked the
>things
> Bill Frisell did with his pedal. some of the effects you describe (the
> octave and pitching thing) sound like what he does. he does
reverse-effects
> to. can the dod do that and is it still available (I cannot find it in
>the
> tools section of looper's delight)

The DOD DFX4 has been out of production for at least 4 years, which is a
shame, for I haven't found a comparably-priced pedal that does the same
things this one does.  It retailed for about $180, but I got both of mine
for about half of that.  They turn up on Ebay now and then.  The sound
quality is surprisingly good, the controls are very intuitive, and it's
also
the smallest and most-easily-transported looper in existence.  On the
downside, it doesn't have any reverse-effects, it eats batteries like a
sick
MF on crack, and the only other way to power it is with a 10-volt adapter
(that's right, ten) which apparently only DOD makes.  And it maxes out at 4
seconds, it can only hold 10 or so layers at once, and there's no way to
add
more memory.

Still, anyone looking for a pretty cheap and simple entry into looping
would
do well to try one of these little babies out.

Peter