RE: Suggestion to the LD mailing list. (UPDATED)

Todd Pafford (08:13 AM 09.19.2000) wrote:

 >On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Alejandro Martínez wrote:
 >> what I´m talking about, I guess many of you have used a Bulletin Board
 >> service before but for those who haven´t please check those ´cause I
really
 >> think that if this list moves to a BB format it will be more benefical
 >for
 >> both users and the LD site itself...
 >
 >Let me just put in my vote against a web based BBoard by saying: Ugh.  I
 >can't stand those things.  They're an inefficient way to deliver text.
 >My advice is to get a decent mail client that'll sort by threads, filter
 >messages, and shuttle the mail off into various folders accordingly.  The
 >Looper's Delight really doesn't have /that/ much traffic.

Yeup...

With a good mail client you can all still easily filter out my babbling. :)

I'm subbed to 31 different mailing lists, and easily pull 500+ pieces of
mail a day. Each one goes into it's own folder where I can easily scan
subject headers, read each piece, or delete a whole list's worth of
content
at a glance.

The only way that I could ever handle that level of volume is if it's all
in one spot, and not sitting up on a web site somewhere that I have to
make
a conscious decision and movement to go visit.

There's also the pure UI and usage issues with web based mail...

Each click of the mouse makes you wait on a something out of your control.
You're at the mercy of everything between your local computer and the
remote server (n number of routers, hubs, firewalls) and the remote
machine
itself in order to see the result of your click.

One thing that I have seen work is that a traditional mailing list is
mirrored by a web based interface (or, vice-versa). The Topica and eGroups
lists run this way, as well as some individual mailing lists.

Just don't take my text away! :)

Mark
|_) _  _||\/| _  _ ._          evolutionary electronica