Vortex question

I have a Vortex unit that I'm quite fond of except for one thing, it seems
to contribute a lot of noise to my signal (a fairly high level of hiss
that
is present when the unit is on and even perhaps a bit louder when the unit
is bypassed).  Can anyone tell me if the Vortex is generally a noisy box
or
would you think its just something about my particular Vortex?

If you think I'm just one of the fortunate ones, then does anyone have any
ideas of a cause or fix (I know I can send it to Lexicon but the $75 fee
is
a bit steep for me at this point you know).

Thanks in advance

KMC