Anyone using a Rane SM 26B?

I've been looking for the best way to split one signal into many (at
least four) and then recombine the many back into one without buying a
big hunking mixer with umpteen send/returns.  I came across the Rane web
page and saw their SM 26B.  It is a one-to-six splitter or a six-to-one
mixer in a single rack space.  It can also be configured as a
one-to-three splitter _and_ three-to-one mixer or cascaded with other SM
26B's ad infinitum.

I don't know the merits of a balanced buffered signal versus other
signal varieties, so can someone tell me why a unit like this is needed
when a simple patch bay should be able to do the same thing?

Is anyone here using this unit?  Where did you get it?  How much did you
pay?

-Allan
|: i repeat myself to relieve my stress :|